Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The "rite" way to believe

It is common knowledge that I am a lover of history, but more specifically, I am intrigued with American history and our Founding Fathers. What I find most fascinating is the misconception of Christianity in our countries founding. Many people are disillusioned with believing that the country was created on the basis of Christianity, but few know the Father's were, in fact, not Christians. Some believed in a God, but not the Calvinistic God of biblical lore. In studying and analyzing their beliefs, it has led me to further scrutinize my own. I cannot fathom saying there is absolutely no God after spending 26 years of Christianity being force-fed to me; it just seems absurd. I have always known there were other belief systems, but have been led to believe that all other religions were wrong and were going to Hell for disagreeing with the Christian Bible. But are they? Is Christianity the right and only way to find perpetual peace?

 I remember as a child always having questions about my faith, but feeling wrong for questioning the word of God. I felt I would be punished for even thinking for a second that something in the story line was incorrect or just did not add up. As an adult, I still have those same lingering questions, but I know now it is my right and duty to seek answers. I still firmly believe the Christian Bible is a sacred religious text, but I also believe its not wholly true. The Bible was written by man, not God, and therefore is subject to human error and misconceptions. The King James Version is proof enough that every new issue of the Bible is changed to suit the needs of the person in power. So how does one find the truth in the story? This is my quest. I must find answers to my questions, and hopefully along the way I can find my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment